Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2006, 08:32 AM  
Started

turning garage into a barn

I have a 1.3 acre property near trails. so to save $...can I turn a two car garage into a barn? It is attached to the house, has a concrete floor and electricity. If the garage door was kept up (open) and 2 portable stalls inserted with rubber floor mats, would it work? opinions, please? thanks, all!
JoAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:45 AM  
Kid Safe

I'd remove the garage door entirely and replace it with a fixed wall with a window (unglazed, with shutters), and a wide single or double sliding door. The main reason for removing the current door is to eliminate the overhead obstacles - if a horse in the garage reared up and smacked one of the glass panes in the garage door, it would be a mess. Even if there is no glass in the door, they are still terribly low for horses.

Other than that, you'll want to put up a kickwall from the floor up wherever the horses can get to the wall. 1" plywood for the lower 4' of wall would probably be sufficient for most of the garage, as long as your prefab stalls have 4 walls of thier own. If you have to use existing garage walls for stalls, I'd cover them with 2" dimenstion lumber to about 7' up.

Also, if there are any glazed windows in your garage, they will need steel grills, or curious horses are likely to poke thier noses through the glass. If you have a regular outside door in the garage, you might consider enlarging it to 40" wide and making it a dutch door for additional ventillation.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:17 AM  
Started

garage

thanks- great tip about removing garage door re head safety. the garage door is old-would probably trash it and if I wanted to convert it back to a garage later would buy a new one. thinking of putting PVC type portable corral stalls in with rubber mats, and open space where garagee door was will be ventilation, plus electric fans.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:18 AM  
Long Yearling

Check on any building regulations in your area before you do anything. In our neck of thw woods, people cannot have a barn attached to a home without a firewall between the two.
Luv2Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:19 PM  
Long Yearling

Awesome idea! Very economic and space saving with the size of your land! Good luck!

"There is no seceret closer than the one shared between rider and horse."
www.rockymountainridingservices.webs.com
cowgirlmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:01 PM  
ron
Started

Florida is very warm. Garages are not built for airflow and ventilation.

Open side barns do very well.

come off the highest part of roof of garage with matching peak or a lean to for a shed row style

a few portable stalls underneath

and you still have your garage.

just make sure that you gave good drainage.

A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:21 PM  
Yearling Member

garage /barn

Sunny Fl...can be a mess with all the NEW rules and regulations. PLEASE check with zoning before you do anything. If the inspectors find thier way to your porperty. THEY will require you to remove, and of course give you a zoning regulation ciatiation. It can get very costly when dealing with the county zoning department.

Do your horses Need a barn/stalls. My guys are very happy with a few run ins on the property, keeps them dry and cooler.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:41 PM  
Started

barn

I may rethint things and build a shed over outdoor stalls re above post. am sure some nosy neighbor would alert a building inspector re garage, like the idea of using a back wall of it. ifit was a detached garage it would be different and simpler! the reason I thought of it is in a hurricane I could close the garage door and the horses would be safe.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:00 PM  
Yearling Member

how high is the celing?
bettymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:21 PM  
Started

garage

I need to measure the ceiling. the house and garage are wood frame (cedar wood) so I might be able to take drywall off ceiling and the wood frame above it much higher (peaked roof not flat If front garage door is permanently left open and fans installed would not ventilation equal a barn?
Old 09-18-2006, 03:30 PM  
Started

Better check with your local Zoning officials first...

Find out first if you can even keep 2 horses on your acreage, some counties have 1 horses per 1 acre rules...

Ron is right, garage will be too hot for them here... Better to build a pole barn and set up a few corral panels for stalls....

~ My treasures do not clink together nor glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night ~
Rocking Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:41 PM  
Started

barn

zoning allows 2 horses per acre dirt roads and trails near developed area, a pole bark probably best, doubt zoning would allow my garage conversion though it does offer superior hurricane protection.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:58 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Your lucky. Where I am you have to have five acres for the first horse and an additional acre per animal.
short_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:05 PM  
Kid Safe

Get a couple of the steel stock-panel type corals with shelters for everyday use and set up your garage as an equine hurricane shelter.

Then you'd just need to put plywood over the drywall (I'd double it for the first 4 feet from the floor) and install grills for the windows. I'd probably put in attachments for some sort of stalls, or stock panels to create two spaces. Include a big water tank. Don't worry about mats, just bed their area deep for the duration of the storm (it'd be more sanitary that way anyway)

Another idea might be to put in a pair of standing stalls in the garage for hurricane use - then you'd still have the garage for the cars and such, and safe spaces for your horses.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:08 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by short_kid
Your lucky. Where I am you have to have five acres for the first horse and an additional acre per animal.

Dang, that is harsh. Here in VA, you only need more than one acre to keep livestock in an area zoned residential/agricultural. No limit on how many animals, either - you could pack em in standing room only if you wanted too, as long as they were demonstably healthy and happy.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:09 PM  
Kid Safe

Why go to the expense of redoing the garage? Snickers can give you some tips on keeping them in the bathroom...
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate