Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2005, 10:14 AM  
Bombproof Member

Do you have a no-smoking sign on your barn?

Now, before I get any further, I do not want to get into a smokers/non-smokers debate!

I've been to several barns that do not have no-smoking signs anywhere in evidence. To me, fire and horse barns just don't mix - all that hay, straw/wood shavings, and wood stalls - scary combination.

So, do you have a sign? And if so, do you enforce it?

I, personally, like the one that says "If we see you smoking, we will assume you are on fire and take appropriate measures"

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:21 AM  
Yearling Member

I don't have a sign yet. but I also dont board horses and most people that come to my barn don't smoke. I am still in the process of getting the barn ready (been there for only about 1 month or so) but will have that sign posted and IT WILL BE ENFORCED...

I wasn't known as the barnbouncer for years for nuttin!

If your looking for something dead broke, don\'t look at my horses but look at me!

http://www.geocities.com/shyfilly78/wwpq.html
shyfilly78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:09 PM  
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
YES! I do! And anyone caught smoking within 50ft of my barn are giving a good lecture about it! Or anyone draggin along a lit cigarette inside the house is too!

I thoroughly explain exactly WHY I dont want it:
1. Im not a smoker, dont plan on it, and the smoke bothers me!
2. My horses, they dont like the smell of it! Why should I let someone pester them? Its not fair to them.
3. And most importantly, their safety and everyone else's around! FIRE ring a bell? Hay, shavings, wood barn... oh now, come on people, let's use some common sense here!

Brittany
Old 09-29-2005, 12:33 PM  
Long Yearling

Yea, what ThorArb said!
lonearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:41 PM  
Weanling Member

I don't have a sign, but anyone who goes to my barn KNOWS I do not allow smoking anywhere near my barn. Leave it in the drive or don't come down. NO Exceptions! Not even my mother. Even when I smoked, I didn't at the barn.
magicma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:49 PM  
Yearling Member

I wish I had one!
I am living with my parents and I was on my, at the time, very pregnant mare.
I had gotten a new bridle, saddle, everything. Well there I am all ready to ride and I needed to adjust my stirrups. I did not want to get off so my mom (love ya) comes over, with cigarette in hand to adjust the stirrups.
My mare does not like smoke and off I went (sideways!)
Moral to this story, don't smoke around the barn!
Old 09-29-2005, 01:03 PM  
Yearling Member

I have a do not smoke sign and it is enforced. I don't want my barn burning down. I am a smoker But I don't smoke in my barn, house, car, or anywhere other then outside my garage. Nobody else does either.
farmgirl140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:12 PM  
Bombproof Member

I do not have a non smoking sign in the barn, but it isn't open to the public anyway, and those that do come over are well-versed in the implied unspoken rules.

I would definitely have one if I were a public stable though.

I can find it just fine on my own.....
divinemisselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:59 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I do not have a no smoking sign at my barn..........yet. But those that come to my barn DO know the rules of no smoking at my barn.

I love the sign Orchid found! (Where was it by the way? Maybe I can find it at my local TSC?) I guess I could always paint my own sign!
TxHorseMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:54 PM  
Started

As a smoker and a horse lover I use common sense and never smoke near easily lit areas.. i.e. manure pile, shavings bin, barn entrances, hay piles, stall windows, empty feed bags ect. I always make sure the cherry is all the way out, and I dispose of the butt in a "butt bucket" or garbage can. With cats and goats around we didn't want anything swallowed. However the barn I was at wasn't blessed with many curtious smokers who would congregate by the shavings bin in the heat of August or other such stupid places, and sign or no sign they needed to be told repeatedly. Only after a neighboring barn burnt to the ground and killed 7 horses did they change their ways.

And did you know marine life suffers most from cigarette butts? They float, and fish think it's food and swallow it. There was a dead dolphin found with butts stuck in it's stomach. Not to mention birds and turtles and other animals that feed off small things. So if you are a smoker, don't just drop your butts!!! Exspecially not near a barn or over the side of a boat. Not to mention the car window... causing brush fires... geez, I could go on and on... how did I ever pick up this habit?

"The more people I meet the more I love my German Shepherd"
mandelyn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:15 PM  
Started

I do not have a sign, however, there is NO smoking anywhere near my barn, feed room or my horses. Actually my pasture either....
<edited to add> Everyone KNOWS better

I AM a smoker, I have not yet found a big enough supply of Valium or Xanax to quit I DO NOT smoke when near/around my horses, while riding (I know someone who does that) or when doing anything that involves my horses or someone elses....

I truly wish I could quit and everytime I have tried to, something very stressful happens and here I go again. Someday I will. Yes, I've tried the patch and gum, but to me that is substituting one form of nicotine for another.
I've smoked for 30 years, so it's not that easy to quit.

Karen

~ My treasures do not clink together nor glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night ~
Rocking Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:56 PM  
Kid Safe

I smoke, my mom smokes, my riding instructor smokes. So does her best freind. She has a No Smoking sign in her barn, but I have caught her smoking in there a few times. Her sign probably should say something like "Responsible smoking only" or something like that. (I don't smoke in the barn, but I do smoke just outside it, she has a butt-bucket) She does not, however, smoke in the stalls, or allow any else to do so, either....she'll jump all over your if she sees you in a stall with a lit cig. (I heard her once from her parking lot when she caught one of her boarders smoking in a stall)

My barn will have either a no smoking sign, or a sign warning about the hazzards of fire. I'm not sure I can keep my mom from smoking in the barn, but she is deathly afraid of fire and very safe with her butts. I will NOT allow smoking in the stalls at least, and will raise holy heck if my mom does. I am fairly certain I can at least get that far.

Whille I am on the subject, more barns catch fire from faulty electrical wiring than any other cause, with lightning being the next on the list. (apparntly, lots of barns are built without a properly grounded lightning rod - if you worry about fire, check you wiring and make sure your lightning rod is properly grounded) Improperly stored hay, manure, cleaners, feed, fuel and arsonists are all more likely to catch your barn on fire than a cigarette butt. (but of course, why take unnecesary risks, when it so easy to just step outside for a smoke)

I am a courteous and carefull smoker, it burns me up when all smokers are blamed or cursed because a few smokers are a**es. I would actually quit if I could, I have tried, and haven't yet given up.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:37 AM  
Pasture Pet

We will have no-smoking signs in the barn/arena and it will be enforced. The only one I can see having a problem with that is Hubby's dad, but for insurance purposes, it really helps, and I get migrains from smoke, so I really will be out to enforce it!

We do have a no-smoking sign in our house left over from the old owners that we left up.

Karen2
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 02:48 PM  
Yearling Member

No I dont have one but my barn is only me and my horses so there isnt anyone really that would smoke there. I would definatly have one if I boarded horses.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:01 PM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via MSN to mellowdane
Yep.. we have one.. I dont smoke.. dont like smoke.. and if at all possible wont be around smoke. In addition to the safety issues. When I was a teen I was riding with a friend who was smoking and riding. We stopped and were chatting and the wind picked up.. blew the cherry off her cigarette.. on to her horse.. where it rolled under the edge of her saddle pad. Left a nice burn mark on her horse.. and a bruise on the side of her head where she came out of the saddle when the horse freaked out. Anyone caught smoking around the barn where I keep my animals will get a quick lesson in how well my foot fits in tight spots!

Has is occurred to you that there's a certain inefficiency in questioning me on things you've already made up your mind about? - Spock
mellowdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:29 PM  
Newborn Member

I have a photo of my former barn manager standing underneath the NO SMOKING sign, smoking a cigarette. Of course, this was not a planned photo.

We'd tell her, geez, if you're gonne smoke, go outside, or you could at least step away from the saw dust..

Made me nervous.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:14 PM  
Coming two

Where my horses are its the owners
and my horses. Inside the barn there
is a sign that says thank you for not
smoking. I am not a smoker and no
one in my family is. I really think
that signs should be in most barns
(but thats just my opinion). Hay
and fire really doesn't mix.

Appaloosa--brains, looks, and temperment all in one
appygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:39 AM  
Pasture Pet

We have a big no smoking sign in our barn, and the barn rules state that there is no smoking ANYWHERE on our property. The only exception is people working on building the barn (construction crew and Rob's dad), but even then they must smoke outside, and must put the butts in the garbage. I have trouble enforcing this with Rob's dad, so usually I just collect the butts at the end of the day and put them in the garbage myself.

Where I live it is against the law to smoke in a place of business/public place, so it would be illegal for us to let people smoke in the barn/arena, so that makes it easier to enforce.

We went one step further by not allowing smoking anywhere and make sure boarders and students know this before they sign on to ride with us. I plan to add more no smoking signs to the hay shed and such later on.

Karen2
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:08 PM  
Weanling Member

I have a no smoking sign in my barn, and as a smoker myself I'll admit I occaisonally smoke by the gate, but I always make sure that it's snuffed out and put in the garbage. Everyone that comes to my barn knows not to light up, and I only do it when no ones around. (Man that kind of makes me a hypocrite huh?)
I should'nt do it at all, but I shouldn't smoke either for that matter.
rodeobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:39 PM  
Kid Safe

I smoke, but obviously don't allow smoking around the barn. I allow smoking on other parts of my ranch, but don't permit butts on the ground - they go in the pocket.
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate