Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 09:29 AM  
Long Yearling

Rubber Horse Fence

Came across this today and it sounds real interesting. I can't figure out to do the math persay but this is the ad I found

Rubber horse fencing is safe and durable alternative solution in containing your horses at a lower cost to you than board or vinyl fence. We sell only the highest quality rubber fencing made from recycled stock car racing tires. They were selected due to the superior strength (made to exceed 200 MPH), uniform thickness (3/8 inches), economical availability, and environmentally responsible reuse of material that would otherwise take up valuable landfill space. No other fencing is stronger or safer for your prized animals

Price List
SIZE @LENGTH COST
1 INCH 70 FEET $.10 per foot plus shipping
2 INCH 30 FEET $.20 per foot plus shipping

What do you guys think about this. He has pics and its really neat but i'm not probably allowed to show them so what would you guys think.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:31 AM  
Bombproof Member

There are other companies that make rubber fencing,., Ramm Fence for example.
Without an ad or pictures, it's hard to compare
If you post the ad or the link, you will probably get better feedback to your question

Horses are so forgiving. ~ Tom Dorrance
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:49 AM  
Long Yearling

ok,
i'm not bashing the fence so maybe I wont get in trouble.
http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/grq/4101725386.html
Old 10-06-2013, 10:50 AM  
Kid Safe

I found a website about this fence product...you gave enough information to find it easily. www.rubberfencing.com
I found this site about this kind of product with same pricing, would expect same installation and warranty

OK...the widest piece of product is 2" wide.... most plank fencing is 6" wide.
a 30' section of fence @.20 per foot,...but this is only 2" so you will need...$18.00 to do 6" inches high of fencing...that is 3 strands...4 strands = $24.00..good so far.
I would call it "airy" looking on 3 strands and not sure that 4 strands would keep my horses inside with their heads..

Did you really look at that fence product closely and read the necessary things you need to do to it...
Put a propane torch to it to seal the edges as they unravel, this is a cut race care tire, in strips they do unravel...and they are spliced together by heat.
You then after torching the tire need to put driveway sealer on the fence to weatherproof it where ever it has come undone...being in the sun it will come undone, promise. The blacktop sealer will also need redoing often, it peels off of "rubber", so does paint.
It sounds great but when you look at the picture of it next to the white pvc or plank fence... it sure doesn't look strong.

Please, something you probably have never thought of... my mom has black vinyl coated chain link fence around her back yard.
My dogs were at her house playing in the backyard... they ran right into the fence, they didn't see it. They saw through it, not "it" as in "it" is the fence.
Many window screens are made of charcoal or black material because it disappears when you look through it...
I would have concern that your horse(s) if running and playing would run into and through that fence, getting tangled in the product as it comes down.

I know it sounds great,...recycling and low cost...
My husband has a race car and uses those tires they now sell for fencing. The edges of those tires are sharp, they do unravel...they do stretch in sunlight and heat...which they are not going to tell you about, so it will be a sagging fence line at times then taught and to tight if you tighten it when sagging in sun...

Honestly, I would steer clear and either do something like www.rammfence.com offers that doesn't have the stretch and maintenance issues once up. It may be more expensive in initial outlay but once up, it is up.
There is a saddlebred farm near me that has the Ramm fence...brown in color it has been up for 10+ years and they have done "0" to it to keep it looking great.

Take into strong consideration that the "sample" they show in the factory is not at 4' or higher height so the strands look much closer together.
If you ride English this "fence" would be not as wide as 2 stirrup leathers placed on top of each other if you use 1" wide leathers... something to think about if you do the 2" product, even narrower for the cheaper 1" product..

Search more for comments from customers and do some research and go see that product up and being used before hand...

Happy shopping and good luck.

horselover4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:34 AM  
Greenbroke Member

i've see that ad before, especially when i was living back in the MO area. there are some great options out there for fencing now....just about every material is available now a days. i find this one interesting as well....

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...;pgcc5330.html

this is probably my favorite out there, wish i had the money, i would do our whole farm with it, love that it has an electric option as well:

http://www.centaurhtp.com/rails.html
Old 10-06-2013, 12:32 PM  
Started

My old barn had fencing similar to the rubber fencing. Thin strands (round) of black rubber/plastic/something? 4 strands. Was able to be hooked up to electric current.

The horses respected the fence, but they were easily able to stick their head through the stands, and could over time bend/loosen the strands. Similar to the white vinyl fencing- that stuff can bend and sag over time if the horses stick their heads through it. But, the benefits are both keep clean and don't break/rot like wood eventually will from the elements and horses chewing on them.
*Giddy Up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:45 PM  
Kid Safe

There is a guy here by me that does Centaur fence, he is a dealer.
I went and saw one of "his projects".... it is indeed nice but nearly had a heart attack when he gave me an estimate for my barn area and riding ring...this is NOT a large area compared to what many of you have at your homes in comparison.
So, plank fencing for me it is...
I can and did sink posts, nailed up planks and it is safe and dependable fence for my animals.
I can also maintain it and get "parts" at any nearby farm store, Tractor Supply, Home Depot or Lowe's when the need arises.

I like the Ramm fence too very much. I was sent a sample when I lived on LI and my friends actually put it up...
Nice part was the horses respect, don't lean on or push the issues of trying to break it. If they need to they can electrify it but so far the need has not happened.
Ramm fence looks nice, was really simple to put up (hubby helped), and hasn't needed maintenance. They have had it now about 5-7 years...

If you go to the Ramm site and read the faq's section you will read the controversy of horses seeing many colors... what they need to see though is the width of rails...

The stuff you are making inquiries about is not electric fence capable so the horses will not respect it like they do something that can and will "bite" on occasion...the fact it has a 10 year warranty...bet it will need care long before that warranty period slips by with the sealing and unraveling....fence should be as easy as possible so it frees us to ride and enjoy our horses, not work, work, work so much of the time...

Watch for what the "warranty" is on any product "man-made" you think to purchase, how long the company has been in business and what comments are available in social media and from the BBB...

horselover4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:46 PM  
Yearling Member

Funny thing, yesterday I got my free sample of this rubber tire fencing (called and sample sent out right away). He sent three pieces of the rubber in various widths and a paper with some information. Must be the same company as the prices are exact.
My father and I was just going over the idea of using it down the driveway in Fl to keep whatever farm animals out of the yard. We never thought of some of the things you all have brought up. Thanks
Mississippi Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:24 PM  
Bombproof Member

I can see same issues as using 2" wide electric ribbon, all the torque on the posts during high winds and on the ribbon, be it nylon or rubber.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:22 AM  
Yearling Member

We have Centaur fencing around our property. Yes it was expensive- but it has been 10 years now and NOTHING has made this fence look old or weathered. We have not replaced a thing on it and still get compliments on how it looks. Horses and cows are good with it. We did not get the electrified kind but do run a wire about a foot and half off the ground to keep the cows from grazing through it. We have a little more field fence to take down and some trees to remove from the fence line but will put up the Centaur again. And we put it up ourselves without a problem.
carshon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:06 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carshon View Post
We have Centaur fencing around our property. Yes it was expensive- but it has been 10 years now and NOTHING has made this fence look old or weathered. We have not replaced a thing on it and still get compliments on how it looks. Horses and cows are good with it. We did not get the electrified kind but do run a wire about a foot and half off the ground to keep the cows from grazing through it. We have a little more field fence to take down and some trees to remove from the fence line but will put up the Centaur again. And we put it up ourselves without a problem.
lucky duck hopefully at some point i'll be get to install at my own property!

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate