Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2011, 07:46 AM  
Seasoned

How to divide a large stall into two, but not permanently

I have a 16X18 foot stall that I'd like to safely divide in half to make two 16X9 foot sections. I do not want it to be permanent and have a post in the ground to support a 16 foot board because I'd like to be able to use this as one big stall should the need arise. How can I safely divide the stalls for each horse to have their own space? The horses need to be divided for feeding reasons. They only will use the stalls when the weather is really crappy outside, which is not that frequently.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:10 AM  
Halter broke

I had to do this exact same thing. I am planning more permanent stalls next year but until then my horses just come in for graining the oldy goldy pony and then they go back out. My horses respect my white tape fencing when they hear the "click" "click" of the fencer So I just ran three strands of my white tape fencing inbetween the stalls. NO worries-- It is not hooked up to the fencer. But of course they hear the "click" "click" so no issues. It is nice because they can see each other, it is great for ventilation but keeps them seperated. They arent in their stalls for long but it works in my situation.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:16 AM  
Kid Safe

You could use round pen panels or gates. 16' to me is a great size for having a spare around just in case.
My drive through gate is never wide enough it seems when the hay delivery arrives and the hay is hanging somewhat over the sides... there goes my gate... taking it off again. Yes, I partly blame the hay truck driver as he doesn't center the truck through the opening...but man... when I redo my fence posts we are getting a 16' gate opening!!

OK... if you need to completely separate them from contact you can "stack" those panels if need be. Also you could use from Tractor Supply the agricultural panels for goats, pigs, sheep...livestock in general. They are mostly 5' high & 16' long, fairly rigid made but I would not use it by itself on the bottom without reinforcements of lumber to safeguard your "cranky" horses at feeding time. I would use them for the top separation piece with no problem... just need something sturdy on bottom to support and compliment the "wall".
The panels from Tractor Supply are I think very reasonable in cost.. doesn't hurt or cost anything to take a look and see if they meet your needs.

That would be my "temporary" quick fix... good luck
horselover4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:27 AM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganRiverStables View Post
I had to do this exact same thing. I am planning more permanent stalls next year but until then my horses just come in for graining the oldy goldy pony and then they go back out. My horses respect my white tape fencing when they hear the "click" "click" of the fencer So I just ran three strands of my white tape fencing inbetween the stalls. NO worries-- It is not hooked up to the fencer. But of course they hear the "click" "click" so no issues. It is nice because they can see each other, it is great for ventilation but keeps them seperated. They arent in their stalls for long but it works in my situation.
I was doing something similar to this, but the one horse figured out that it's not electric and he can walk right into it. I have bungy gates, so they strettttccccchhhhhhh, until he makes one of the ends pop off and then he can keep walking right through. The other horse still respects the bungy gate because it looks just like the rope fence wire that we have.

I thought about the gate idea, but was worried that the one horse might try to roll and then get a leg caught.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:58 AM  
Bombproof Member

Use a 16' panel. What my SIL does !!

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:13 AM  
GV4
Yearling Member

I have done something similar with our foaling stall. We used rough cut lumber, mostly 2x8 but some 2x10, to span the distance. We then attached a 2x4 to each board in the middle to stabilize the span and keep rollers from getting a foot caught up. All of this was attached with screws for easy removal. If this works to keep my fattbutt Gypsy mares in place, then it will work with any average horse!
GV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:25 AM  
Newborn Member

Divide a stall

You did not state how your big stall is made, so I am going to describe a stall divided at a well known trainer's barn many years ago. The stalls were simply divided with a wooden jump pole parallel to the aisle, and angled higher at the head end (probably supported by the stall wall where the grille met the wood).
The other end rested on the stall floor. The horses were tied as in standing stalls. A person could put the horse in or out of the stall through the original door because there would be enough room to go around the partition. (I don't need a lot of criticism with this post, as I am only describing what I saw.)

I have put two horses in 12 x 12 stalls without dividing. Your stall is huge. If you don't like any of these suggestions, I would try to put them in and let them figure it out. Just keep an eye on them for a while, and give them a lot of hay.

Last edited by Karen K : 11-02-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Karen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:01 AM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen K View Post
You did not state how your big stall is made, so I am going to describe a stall divided at a well known trainer's barn many years ago. The stalls were simply divided with a wooden jump pole parallel to the aisle, and angled higher at the head end (probably supported by the stall wall where the grille met the wood).
The other end rested on the stall floor. The horses were tied as in standing stalls. A person could put the horse in or out of the stall through the original door because there would be enough room to go around the partition. (I don't need a lot of criticism with this post, as I am only describing what I saw.)

I have put two horses in 12 x 12 stalls without dividing. Your stall is huge. If you don't like any of these suggestions, I would try to put them in and let them figure it out. Just keep an eye on them for a while, and give them a lot of hay.
so basically there was one board (pole) dividing the stalls at about chest level or so, so that they don't go under it?
I have to be able to divide the horse because one is skinny and needs senior feed, the other is fat and pushy and he'll constantly push her away from the hay. I put hay in two different areas and then they play musical hay bags, but she's old and deserves to just be able to eat without being harrassed....atleast when they are in the stall.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:34 AM  
Started

What about a panel lined on either side with plywood?

6 Year Member
BornToRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:41 PM  
Seasoned

One of the barns I used to work at had a large stall a little bigger then what your discribing. They took a normal farm gate and attached plywood to both sides so if a horse rolled, pawed, or kicked they didn't get a leg caught.
breburtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:33 PM  
Weanling Member

A friend of mine has foaling stalls that are huge,when not used for that she divides them.The front and back of stalls are wood,she has iron piece that goes up the wall 5ft and is about 2 inches deep on front and back of stall then the 2x6 or 8's just slide down into the iron and stay ontop of each other creating a wall.My barn I have gates hanging in my tromp shed part so I can swing them out from the wall and put a gate in front of them to create a stall.other wise they fit back against the wall of an open area.I would not use the cattle panels as they have very sharp ends and horses can get feet hung up in them easy.Plus once they get bent they are pretty useless.Have hauled many to the dump and had a horse get cut and took 30 stiches to sew her up.
Appsrcool is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate