Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 07:52 AM  
Long Yearling

Best grass seed for pasture?

We're going to reseed a few of our smaller paddocks soon. We're looking for a quick germinating seed good for high traffic. What has everybody used??
Equestrian21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:14 PM  
Started

My standard answer to this question is check with your local Cooperative Extension agent. They'll know what grows best in your area, and under what conditions. It'll depend on how much grazing you want across the year, and whether weather conditions will allow cool season vs. warm season grasses. It can be nice to have a mix with some clover, but if you plan to use a broad leafed herbicide, that'll kill any clover that you plant. Good luck!
sfl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:19 PM  
Long Yearling

I would suggest getting in touch with your District Agriculturalist.. they usually have a good idea as to the best seed to plant.. by areas
Old 02-24-2011, 04:38 PM  
Long Yearling

I had to go load up on feed today and after I recovered from my feed bill shock (lol) I got to talking to the guy that runs the co-op and he said to use Fescue at a rate of 300# per acre for a nice, thick pasture.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:41 PM  
Long Yearling

But I'm googling it right now and it says that fescue is not good for horses, and can be toxic??
Old 02-24-2011, 06:31 PM  
Seasoned

It's only bad for bred mares. If you don't breed then fescue is fine. I would still call the local C-E. They will tell you a good blend. You don't want to seed it too thick it will choke it self out...better a little thin and let it grow to capacity.
recklesshoundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:15 PM  
Bombproof Member

I top seed with timothy. The quad pulls a single set of steel harrows starting along the fence. As I start the second row I reach down and scatter a small hadful ofseed where I've previously harrowed. $3 or $4 worth of seed does a pretty good job. The horses remain off it for at least three weeks but I usually see the new "fuzz" within a week. Over a period of ten years my pastures have greatly improved. By barely scratching the soil in spring it provides enough seed bed for the timothy.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:17 PM  
Coming two

I'm interested in this topic too. I know I should call the ext. office but I do like hearing what has worked for others. This is our first year having our own little farm. We have about 4.5 acres in pasture and I'd like to have it good and thick. They've really grazed it down this winter. So how much seed per acre does everyone use. We put down 150 lbs for our 4 acres in winter rye and it didn't really work all that great.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:18 PM  
Conformation Clinic Coordinator

A lot of horses don't like rye. If you are north of Atlanta or Athens, fescue/centipede bermuda is a good choice for the soil. That's what we have in my area of NC. The centipede does take over for the most part and the fescue is just turning green now. Good root systems that can get ground down to nothing in the winter and come back in a flash in spring. You just have to get the right soil pH to get optimum results.
gilmorehorsemanship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 AM  
Started

Fescue is fine as long as you don't have mares in foal. I think there is some info that it's not the best for growing foals either, but that's relying on my feeble brain for that info. We've got all fescue, it's hardy, and our horses have no trouble staying fat on it. It is green much longer during the year than warm season grass like bermudagrass; I compare our fields to our neighbors (they have bermuda) and I'd say we get at least 4 months more green grass over the year than they do.
sfl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:32 PM  
Long Yearling

After consulting our co-op we are going to order a blend of ryegrass, fescue, and bluegrass. We need something rather hardy since we're in what the call a "transition zone" which means that we're smack in the middle of needing cool season grasses and warm season grasses. Our farm is lucky enough to be located on top of natural, underground springs so anything we plant grows well. The soil is rich, although rocky. New pastures are just around the corner
Old 03-01-2011, 11:03 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equestrian21 View Post
After consulting our co-op we are going to order a blend of ryegrass, fescue, and bluegrass. We need something rather hardy since we're in what the call a "transition zone" which means that we're smack in the middle of needing cool season grasses and warm season grasses. Our farm is lucky enough to be located on top of natural, underground springs so anything we plant grows well. The soil is rich, although rocky. New pastures are just around the corner

Wow! Coming from grey/clay area, where everything needs fertilized and the top soil...is well 2" deep.. lol.. I am envious..

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate