Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 07:40 PM  
Halter broke

Barn Insurance Questions

I'm not in the best boarding situation and have been looking at other options. The other boarding barns around either have long wait lists or don't meet my criteria for my 2 horses (daily turn out is key as my 2 horses are younger and are normally stalled due to our show schedule).

I think I've found an good fit for us but would like to see if I'm missing something. It is a private barn where she has 2 stalls available (she has 1 horse that is in full time training). New stalls, matting in the stalls, new electrical, plenty of good ventilation, nice 80 x 120 outdoor arena with very good footing and good drainage (key after the past 2 weeks we have had here). She will feed, clean stalls, and turn the horses out twice a day (once early in the morning during chore time and in the evening for 4-5 hours). Good quality grain, high quality hay, and plenty of hands on care.

Since this is not a true boarding stable, are there insurance needs that I should get in place since the horses are mine but are on her property? We will have a formal written agreement.

So, if anyone can give me feedback as to any insurance needs that I need to take into consideration, that would be great.

Thanks!
pfabulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:10 AM  
Started

Find out what kind of liability insurance they carry (if any). Basically, if your horse gets loose and damages someone else's property, are you responsible (it was your horse), or is the boarding barn responsible for not restraining/containing the horse properly? Or, what happens if a neighbor kid comes over to pat the horses and your horse bites the kid? I think the term for horses on private property is an "attractive nuisance", kind of like a swimming pool, where the landowner may have to provide additional barriers to keep interested strangers from coming on to the property.

If the person has their farm as a "business", then they should already have some sort of liability coverage. If they're doing it on the side, their regular homeowners insurance may not provide coverage for damage caused by someone else's horse.

From another perspective, what if something happens TO your horse? Will their insurance cover any expenses you incur due to their mis-management?

All this being said, I've gone years with boarding horses at big boarding barns, or at friend's barns, and never questioned the status of their liability insurance. I guess I've just gone on the assumption that if the barn is meeting my standard of care and safety, really bad things aren't very likely to happen (although with horses, you never can tell....).
sfl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:30 AM  
Halter broke

If you have a Homeowners policy or a renters policy, you do not have any liability coverage for your horese........but it can be added, just tell your agent you need a hobby farm/livestock liability endorsement and give them the address of the boarding barn, it will not cost much and then YOU are covered.

Always a good idea to get a certificate of Liability from the barn owners, this basically states they have a policy enforce. I would think if the barn owner was liabal/at fault for your horses injury or death their policy would cover it, but they must be at fault.

really the best way to cover your horse is to by mortality insurance or medical insurance on your horse .
mustbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:38 AM  
Halter broke

I had planned to get insurance on the horses themselves (need to figure out how to place their value as they have both increased in value since we purchased them (breed show points and additional professional training)). I'm just more concerned with the owner of the facility. I know that one very expensive part of being a boarding barn is the insurance needed. I just don't know how that translates over to a private facility that is not in the business of being a boarding stable.
thanks!
pfabulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:41 AM  
Kid Safe

I would put a call in to your lawyer to ask him/her, or get a referral to someone in the legal profession who knows.

IMO, she should have purchased liability insurance the day that she brought a horse home, hers or otherwise, as horses ARE a liability and a risk to anyone who steps foot on her property.
Sonseeahray's_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:45 PM  
Halter broke

Please skip calling the lawyer...........call YOUR insurance agent and ask them how to make sure YOU are covered, and then ask the barn owner for a certificate of liaibility to prove THEY have a policy in force..........I have been in the insurance business for 20 years and have yet to find a lawyer that advised a client correctly in insurance matters........need medical advise ask a Dr.....need insurance advise ask your insurance agent.
mustbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:05 AM  
Kid Safe

Actually, after my recent lawyer experience, I absolutely agree with you mustbeme!
Sonseeahray's_girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate