Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2010, 11:14 AM  
Newborn Member

Stud horse laws in Texas

I live in gaines county Texas and have had some complaints about my stud horses I have no mares just studs that's just what I prefer. They don't cause any trouble other than hollering at the ladies around but the ladies holler just the same. My neighbor who is not complaining told me ther was a law for keeping studs I have never heard of this so I'm asking is ther such a law in Texas because all I can find is that Texas is still a open range state I have a 6 wire fence around my 4 acre stud pen so if there is a law what would be the dimensions of such confinement so that I wouldn't be going against some kind of animal rights law so don't get tied up in a catch 22 which I already kind of am because this may inturn have some of them get cut. I'll ad just one more thing that I can't quite figure out and I'd like to get others opinions. Why is it that people complain about a stud bur what about proud cut geldings and mares I've seen many that would make all my studs look like angels. Theirs many a horsin mare that would make the devil seem like a saint now why so much descremination against a stud. Haven't lots of folks kicked themselves for cuttin a colt then the colt make a good horse then u can't breed him he's kinda worthless other tan usin him. Thanks for reading my ramblin and hope to get some feed back and info and maybe some opinions.
Thanks. Gus
Lutjens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:29 PM  
Started

What kind of complaints are they receiving regarding your studs? Have you checked with your local city government if you live within city limits? If not within city limits then you need to check with your local county ag extension and find out if they have specific zoning requirements regarding fencing for studs. If neither of those help then I would call an equine lawyer and pay for a consultation to make sure you are not breaking any laws regarding your stallions just to cover your butt.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:56 PM  
Bombproof Member

Some ordinances within town or city limits require 6' high fencing for stallions. Perhaps you can get this info from either your county agriculture department or state.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:54 PM  
Seasoned

Yep, check with your local authorities.

As far as having stallions for stallions sake, my opinion is geld them if they aren't breeding quality and won't be used for breeding purposes. If it weren't so invasive and expensive, I'd say spay mares for the same reason.

The one thing about mares: they don't jump fences and breed other people's horses...
Old 05-17-2010, 08:05 PM  
Conformation Clinic Coordinator

I'd say check the local (county and/or municipal if you are in an incorporated area).

Here in NC you are required to have a 6 board fence at least 7 feet high (or some crap like that) for stallions but the law is rarely enforced. I personally don't like wire fences of any design for any number of obvious reasons.
gilmorehorsemanship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:49 PM  
Weanling Member

Lightbulb

If the horses aren't being used for breeding I just don't understand having the additional liability involved with an uncut male. It seems simply unnecessary... We had a stallion, he died at 28 years of age but he was used for breeding. You have to recognize that having the uncut males adds an additional layer of unpredictability to the already risky business of handling horses.

Even the kindest of geldings or most settled of mares can some loose under the right circumstances. Stallions have additional impetus to be aggressive.

I don't blame neighbors for being a bit edgy about the situation--- would you feel comfortable walking your dog by a property you knew housed multiple uncut male dogs? Especially if you were walking an unspayed female? If there is no reason for a domesticated animal to be kept intact like show or breeding then it makes little sense and can border on irresponsible.

We take animals of many different sorts and ask that they function in a human society... anything we can do to ease their way... proper handling and training or removing reproductive capabilities to reduce risk and unwanted populations is simply common sense to me.

Just the opinion of this Newling.
CraterCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:08 AM  
Started

Send a message via Yahoo to spirithawk06
I don't understand why people insist on discussing something that isn't the topic of discussion. He asked about the laws, not about people's opinions on whether or not to geld stallions. If he prefers to have them uncut, that's his choice as long as he takes proper precautions. I've seen stallions that are wonderful horses that give no trouble what so ever, and mares that are absolute demons. I also know that occasionally a horse's personality changes after he has been cut. So that is the owner's choice as long as proper precautions are taken.

I found this blog when doing a search. I don't know if it fully answers your questions, but this was posted by a Texas lawyer. Good luck finding out the answer.

http://equinelaw.alisonrowe.com/
spirithawk06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:00 AM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirithawk06 View Post
I don't understand why people insist on discussing something that isn't the topic of discussion.

Because that is how normal conversation goes - people share their thoughts and opinions.
alliebath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:07 AM  
Kid Safe

http://equinelaw.alisonrowe.com/2008...se-gets-loose/

Find out if your county is a Stock Law County.

Open Range means that if your neighbor doesn't want your stud to happen upon his/her property...then he/she has to fence appropriately. Not you.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:50 AM  
Weanling Member

Originally Posted by spirithawk06
I don't understand why people insist on discussing something that isn't the topic of discussion.

Also... besides asking about local laws... which he has been given answers as to where to find what they are he did specifically ask for opinions about why people would complain about his stallions. So actually it was a part of the topic for discussion.

Originally Posted by spirithawk06
I've seen stallions that are wonderful horses that give no trouble what so ever, and mares that are absolute demons.

Yes, and I have known people who are really nice and others who have committed crimes and been generally not nice people.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:05 PM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to Rafflesgirl
Actually yes he did ask for opinions. And here is mine. I don't personally care if someone owns a stallion or stallions except if they are living near me, and one should get out and happen to breed one of my mares then I would be HOT! So therefore those who do own stallions or do breed their stallions should be very sure they are securely contained. (And I'm sure most legitimate breeders and owners do their best to keep their stallions from escaping.

I will say also that I also feel if you are not breeding the stallion, then he should be gelded for his safety and mental health, and also the safety of others around, but that is just my opinion and obviously the person posting does not feel that way so I respect his right to keep his horses uncut. If he can control, contain and take proper care of his horses that is his right to do as he wishes.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:30 PM  
Kid Safe

Ah, but in an open range state...you can be as "hot" as you want to be, but it's YOUR responsibility to keep your mares from the studs. That's why the OP needs to look up the county commission reports to find out if there are stock laws to be aware of.

Interesting, huh?

Also means that, if you hit a livestock animal on a road not deemed a highway, YOU are responsible for the damages.

Of course, if we can "all just get along," there likely wouldn't be a problem.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:47 PM  
Newborn Member

Thanks for the help

Thanks for some help if your mares are that important not to be bred then they should be spayed cause it took a good stud to make them I believe if if all studs should be gelded then they should of been born that way and they are breeding quality or they wouldn't be there to begin with cause if they ain't breeding quality as studs they ain't all that good as geldings and to date I ain't seen a perfect horse yet
Old 06-01-2010, 10:43 PM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutjens1 View Post
Thanks for some help if your mares are that important not to be bred then they should be spayed cause it took a good stud to make them I believe if if all studs should be gelded then they should of been born that way and they are breeding quality or they wouldn't be there to begin with cause if they ain't breeding quality as studs they ain't all that good as geldings and to date I ain't seen a perfect horse yet
I disagree, but glad you found the information you needed.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:32 AM  
Weanling Member

There are practical reasons why mares are not spayed... compared to the castration process it is considerably more life threatening for a horse. I do not understand the mentality at all-- from my experience with both dogs and horses it makes very little sense to say that if they weren't breeding quality they would what? be born sterile?

You can have a fine working horse or dog that is not up to breeding standards as far as conformation is concerned.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 AM  
Started

The selective breeding of animals should have an important component - an intelligent human making wise and thoughtful breeding decisions. To use the "theory" that if they are born that way, well let them breed willy nilly is hardly wise, thoughtful or intelligent in my estimation. Goodness, it takes all kinds doesn't it?
Old 06-02-2010, 07:48 AM  
Weanling Member

I understand the neighbors concern now.

1 dog away from hoarderdom.
2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:44 AM  
Newborn Member

If a stud is in a pasture by himself with no mares or access to mares the he not breeding willy Billy or thoughtless now is he. Do stud farms have their studs turned out with mares year long no their in their pens or stalls most have probably never covered a real mare just a dummy so if I'm responsible stud owner who tends to them and keeps them in control then I'm not being a thoughtless moron who doesn't do his part the thoughtless moron is the one who doesn't care what happens or who thinks their mare vetoing bred by their neighbors stud because their to ignorant to put them up when their standin or their little female dog they let loose in their yard with no fence with male stray waiting outside if I'm responsible for mine then others should be as well and mine don't stand in a stall gettin petted like a dog they have a job and get used and they no what a hot mare is and I keep them in controll and they still do their job only reason folks geld one is their unworthy to breed or their scared of them and majority is is the latter now that is said do judge me or my opinions if your mare is better so be it but if you ain't never rode a good stud that knows his job and his place then don't knock him till you've tried And on top of that I don't own a mare one so I ain't breeding stupidly you should have read a little closer
Old 06-14-2010, 08:02 AM  
Started

I did try to read closely, but the typos and overall bad grammer were more than I could get through.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:15 AM  
Yearling Member

Hi I also own a stud ( appaloosa and in Wis we have 20+ acers so no close neighbors) we also have beef cows and a bull. No one has complained about either. You can also check with your home owners insurance thats what we did ( hes a farmer too). I have had my stud since he was a yearling he is 21 now has about 30+ foals on the ground. He has never gotten out of his fence he is alone in it. It is welded wire cattle panels 4 1/2 ft high with 2 hot wires on the inside. He respects that fence but he can get hot/excited if there is a mare in heat ( the studs fence and mares pasture are not next to each other / share the same fence line) But I can tell when one is comeing or is in season/heat the mares will also come and " talk" with the boys it's a 2 way street there LOL. I have not had any problems with people/ neighbors complaining about him ( or the cows & bull) maybe they don't know hes there we live close to town and no "farmers" as neighbors so maybe they don't know/ care UNTIL something happens then all heck breaks out LOL. On the point of keeping studs "intact" I see no problem with that my guy ( he is in my atvar) is broke to ride but hasn't been ridden in years he has also been blind for the last 10 years his last foal was last year. I do not plan on breeding anymore ( his health and the economy) I do not plan on gelding him either. I would of been able to do more with him as a gelding sure ( doing more meaning without the worry/extra work that comes with studs) Is he perfect no has he produced perfect foals no. He has improved the mares he's been bred to and himself it all depends on what your looking to do or what you like we all don't like or want the same things "were all different". But check the laws some neighbors don't have anything else to do but be a PITA.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate