Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2009, 10:59 PM  
Kid Safe

Septic Tanks: How often do you get them pumped out?

We just got ours done for the second time since we've lived here - last time was 3 years ago - so, I've got plenty of time before I need to get it done again, but I was wondering if there is a rule of thumb on how often, and just what other people do (about getting the 'do cleaned out )?
Old 10-14-2009, 06:17 AM  
Yearling Member

We treat ours monthly with Rid-x. I can't remember when we have had to pump it. The Rid-x does a great job of keeping it happy and working well.
Dream Ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:29 AM  
Bombproof Member

We just got ours pumped. Here is what guy said from the company (Whose logo is ---- We are #1 in the #2 industry!!

1. RidX monthly (at night when you go to bed)
2. Don't overload with multiple showers/baths in a row. Same with washing. Don't do numerous loads at once.
3. No pasta or grease down the pipes. Pasta and grease does not break down and will clog your filter.

We just had ours done. The filter washed and the tank pumped. It wasn't full but it wasn't over flowing either. I don't know when it was done last, but hubby and I have been in the house 5 yrs and we bought it from a family. We weren't having problems but just wanted to get it done b/4 we had problems and we didn't know when it was last done.

Hope this helps

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:09 AM  
Bombproof Member

We have had ours done every 2-3 years since we built in 2003, and it's only the 2 of us living here.
It is my understanding that the system is designed to keep the 'waste' constantly breaking down, but it is good to have them pumped every few years.
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:23 AM  
Started

I often work with a great septic inspector who's been in the business for years. He said to have you tank pumped every 4-5 years. In between pumpings pour 2 packets of dry yeast down each toilet once a month. The yeast replaces the microbes that are killed by household cleaners.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:29 AM  
Yearling Member

We have only had ours pumped twice since 1972. Never have a problem except when we hadn't fenced our property in yet and the locals were driving over our drain field and we just had that repaired about 5 or 6 years ago.
bunnyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 AM  
Seasoned

Our septic guy told us about every 2-3 yrs. Depends on how many people in the house and how big of a septic it is.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:54 AM  
Seasoned

Where my parents live it's a requirement that they get them done every 3 years. The town sends them a reminder and if it's not done by a certain time, they can get a citation. Prior to this new "clean water" law, they pumped it out every 5 years and that was with a big family. Now it's just the two of them, but like I said, it's the law in their township to get it done every 3.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:13 AM  
Seasoned

It depends on the size of the holding tank, how much "stuff" you are dumping into it, and if you've used a treatment designed for septic tanks (Rid-X was mentioned).

When you have it pumped, ask the guy when you should have it done again. They can guess-timate pretty well
Red Gate Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:34 PM  
Yearling Member

We just moved into our new home in Dec. and the company that installed the tanks said about every 3 years. We've got a grey water tank for just the washing machine and deep sink. He advised us not to use Rid-X as the tank works just fine without it. The bacteria it creates is what keeps it cleared out. Disgusting if you ask me, I've always been on city sewage. I try not to think about it, though!
Old 10-14-2009, 02:37 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivervu2 View Post
I often work with a great septic inspector who's been in the business for years. He said to have you tank pumped every 4-5 years. In between pumpings pour 2 packets of dry yeast down each toilet once a month. The yeast replaces the microbes that are killed by household cleaners.
Ditto..

Quality Peformance horses with foundation breeding
http://blackcanyonpaints.webs.com/
CowhorseGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:50 PM  
Halter broke

It also very much depends on your soil type. the better your soil drains the less frequently you need to pump. My parents live on sand, and have pumped twice in 30 yrs. In Fact the second time they just put in a new septic, since it was so old and they were adding a third bath. I live on old river bed with clay under and high water table. I need to pump every 5 or so yrs.

My mother loved flushing old halloween candy down the toilet, said it was good for the microbs..... and our teeth!
Kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:07 PM  
Kid Safe

Every two years or so here. VA has dense, clay soil. Just a mile or so from here is a brick mine - all they have to do is dig it up, shape it into bricks and fire them.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:42 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
My mother loved flushing old halloween candy down the toilet, said it was good for the microbs..... and our teeth!
Now that's funny

I forgot to mention that we use Septo-Bac too, which I'm sure is like Rid-X. I've also used baking soda in my laundry, which it says on the baking soda box is good for the septic tank.

I was calling around price shopping before booking an appointment, and the one guy even commented "that it would be a simple job since we'd just had it done 3 years ago", so that made me wonder how often it really needed doing. The young (tall, handsome ) guy that came out to do ours said it wasn't a bad job to have, other than going to people's places who hadn't had theirs done for 20 years or so . To leave it that long is pretty bad, considering it only cost $120, and took around half an hour!
Old 10-18-2009, 09:19 AM  
Seasoned

My dad used to pump tanks he said depending on the size they should be done every 3-4 years.
breburtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:15 PM  
Halter broke

wow thanks for the info I was just wondering the same thing about my septic tank at home....
silly_lil_filly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:39 PM  
Halter broke

my husband owns a large plumbing sewer and septic company, he said you should pump your tank evey 3-4 years because that keeps your seepage pit or leach lines from failing and those cost over 3,000 dollars to replace, so its better to spend a couple hundred every 3-4 years then to spend over 3,000 at once!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:21 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chery View Post
my husband owns a large plumbing sewer and septic company, he said you should pump your tank evey 3-4 years because that keeps your seepage pit or leach lines from failing and those cost over 3,000 dollars to replace, so its better to spend a couple hundred every 3-4 years then to spend over 3,000 at once!

Yes indeed!

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:17 AM  
Kid Safe

Thanks again everyone, I guess we were right to get it done again when we did. I really wasn't sure how often the norm was, and while I knew I could ask companies in the business, I really wondered if they wouldn't just suggest it be done a little more frequently than needed to boost business . I certainly would prefer to err on the side of caution, and prevent major problems down the line, so will just try to stick to the 3 or 4 year guideline

(Wow - the puns are almost limitless on this thread, and are so hard to resist )
Old 10-26-2009, 10:49 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I was advised that every few years or so and not to get it done too late in the fall though. Apparently, the bacteria and other yucky stuff need to be able to get working again before it gets too cold out. The companies won't tell you that though because they will be out every month or so in the winter to re-pump your tank though. We haven't had ours done yet and were considering doing it but since we are now looking to sell, will leave that up to any potential buyers to do in the spring.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate