Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2009, 12:44 PM  
Pasture Pet

Storing round bales

What is the best way to store round bales assuming you don't have a hay shed?

We are thinking either stacking them on pallets or on road crush...but hubby thought some of the minerals and dust from the road crush might not be good for the horses.

Do we tarp or not tarp? What about building a make shift wood roof that we tie down on the stack?

Should we stack them or leave them in a single end to end or side by side row?

We are going to have 30-60 round bales to store. Space is not an issue really.

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:52 PM  
Seasoned

The farmers here stack them with one row flat down and the second row on it's side on top of the first. They look like a row of fat little i's

OOOOOOOO
[][][][][][][][]

We have them delivered and they sat on the ground all winter on their sides. You do lose the part on the ground and a thin bit all around.

If I could, I would put each on a pallet to get it up off the ground and I'd toss a tarp over each one.
Red Gate Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:55 PM  
Kid Safe

I can answer some of that... on pallets is the best way to go, keeps them dry of course, and will also make it easier to get them out when we have several feet of snow

If you have the room, it might be better not to stack them, again easier to access, and also safer, since they can roll/fall off when stacked. If they are not covered, they should be stored on their side (round side on the pallet), and they should keep fine that way. If you tarp them, you could leave them upright (flat side down). What will you be moving them with?

I'm not sure about tarping, it depends how tightly you're tarping of course, but you could trap moisture that way, and tarps can be hard to keep from blowing away. The makeshift roof sounds neat, but might be a pain to get on and off as you need to take bales out
Old 09-18-2009, 01:14 PM  
Pasture Pet

We have forks for our tractor, so that is how we move them...it is a pain in the butt sometimes!

What about stacking this way:
o
oo

hmmm....not a good as Redgates diagram, but hopefully you get the idea...where the top bale sits in the channel made by the bottom two.

Red Gate, I think your way would be hard with the forks, so maybe I should have put that in the original thread!

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:37 PM  
Yearling Member

I have always just end to end round end down and placed on pallets. I tarp but only on the top and part way done ther sides. If you trap any moisture you will get mold. (sheeeesh I have been watching to much Homes on Holmes)

You waste a little on the bottom and maybe a layer on the outside but there is really not too much waste.
SilverLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:39 PM  
Kid Safe

Here we stack them like that, EA. We dont' use tarps, we also don't get near the snow you do, so it may be different for you.

ooo
ooooo

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."

Last edited by roberts617 : 09-18-2009 at 01:42 PM.
roberts617 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate