Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How long do you take to clean a stall?
Less than 5 minutes 9 11.11%
5-10 minutes 33 40.74%
10-15 minutes 29 35.80%
More than 15 minutes 10 12.35%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2009, 02:19 AM  
Halter broke

cleaning stalls?

firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong spot.
i dont know if its just me, but it seems like forever to clean stalls (which is understandable, it isnt a pleasant job. but this seriously feels ridiculous to me). so im interested to see how long it takes other people and if im just being whiny or i really do take ages.
ive never really asked anyone how long they take or watched someone the whole time, so maybe im just very inefficient. i usually take around 15 minutes per stall. so how long do you take? any tips to cut down on time?
justine604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:03 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to mingiz
It takes me over 15 mins. to clean stalls (2) I bed with saw dust and I just take my time when I do them. It's like my mental therapy time...

In my younger days when I worked at a harness racing barn I did 30 15x15 stalls everyday except Sunday..working 7- 3. I was a whippersnapper back then
mingiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:31 AM  
Bombproof Member

It usually takes me about 10 min's to clean Red's stall.
He is 'Mr. Tidy' so it really is EASY with him.
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:15 AM  
Started

To completely rebed it one takes me around fifteen minutes, te just pick through takes me 5-10

6 Year Member
BornToRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:15 AM  
Pasture Pet

Same as BornToRide, I take about 5-10 min to pick the stalls, 15-20 to clean out and replace bedding, which I do once a week.
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:31 AM  

5-10 minutes if I have a clean horse. If he is a pig, it can take longer. I also try to pick out the stalls when I see fresh piles in them.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:39 AM  
Started

It really depends on what needs to be done. If I'm just picking and putting down fresh bedding, 10 minutes. If I'm stripping the stall, it could take me anywhere from 30-45 minutes to do a good job.

Rest In Peace My Sweet Angel:
Zoey: April 10, 2009-July 19, 2012
Proud United States Navy wife
FLQuarterhorse39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:04 AM  
Seasoned

That was funny Tuffsmom...."If they are pigs" I can totally relate to that. Junior is a slob as is his mother.

Back on topic, it takes me 1/2 hr to clean 3 stalls. Junior's being the longest since he tromples around in it. Sometimes its cleaner since he will go poop in the paddock. Guess it depends on his mood that day IDK Chief on the other hand is by far the neatest horse I have ever owned. Poops in one corner and "tinkles" outside. At least he doesnt smush his butt agains the plywood inside the stall anymore. Nothing like brown walls

PaintsQH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 AM  
Weanling Member

I feel your pain, PaintsQH...brown stalls It usually takes me about 10-15 minutes per stall.
cleo-bo-beo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:26 AM  
Long Yearling

Depends on how picky I am each day, usually about 10 -15 will do it. I use loose chopped straw for bedding witch I pitch down from the mow once a week (a huge pile of it! the excess I push against the wall and pull from as needed. Works good for me!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:08 AM  
Yearling Member

It usually took me 10-15 minutes.

Midnightbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:24 AM  
Started

I clean daily, but my horses are not in much at all.
We are having a very cool summer so they are out pretty much 24/7

I voted 5 to 10 minutes though.

I clean my dry lot daily which takes about 15 minutes for the 2 horses that I have.

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. W.C.Fields
Touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:10 PM  
Started

I voted 5-10 but it really depends on the time of year. When they're on the summer schedule, they aren't in for as long & therefore don't make as big of a mess. On the winter schedule is a different story!
Old 07-29-2009, 01:35 PM  
Bombproof Member

15mins+ here, my horses have very large stalls.

I often open all the gates and they can use the 4 stalls as a big run in shelter. That's when it gets really dirty in there, so I get dad to clean it out with the tractor which takes less than 5mins!
Old 08-04-2009, 05:04 PM  
Yearling Member

less than 5 minutes here, cleaning stalls is my job afterall. However I don't consider my circumstances to be normal, I muck about 10-20 stalls a day, all smaller and bedded lighter than the norm.

At another barn that I hope to be working at soon, the stalls are a much more appropriate size and bedded much more heavily, these ones take me about 10 minutes to do, and will probably take less time with practice.

I'm still in the "whippersnapper" stage I think thank god for ergonomic forks!
WestCoastRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:07 PM  
Yearling Member

it takes me about 5-10 min and 15 to 20 once a week for stripping and rebedding Snickers poops against the wall but she will come in from outdoors just to water in the middle.
tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:25 PM  
Long Yearling

it depends on my horses but on average it takes me 15 mins to clean 4 stalls that includes bedding and watering. So i'm pretty fast, sometimes it takes up to 20 mins but thats if the really trash their stalls.
horsegirl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:57 PM  
Yearling Member

I voted 5-10 minutes, but that's to pick poop, sweep/shovel wet spot(s), lime, bed, and dump water bucket. Less than 5 minutes if just picking. Usually takes about 1 1/2 hours to do 10 stall barn, bed, and sweep/rake the aisle. If I'm crunched for time I can get it done in a little more than an hour, but that's hauling a**! I cleaned 20+ stall barns for years, so I learned to be very efficient!
misstishus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:33 PM  
Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingiz View Post
It takes me over 15 mins. to clean stalls (2) I bed with saw dust and I just take my time when I do them. It's like my mental therapy time...
Same here. In the summertime I have little to no stall cleaning to do, usually nothing more than just picking up a pile that was left as a gift for me at meal time , but in the winter when they are in more I can take as much as a half hour per stall, especially if someone was really messy or I want to get really picky about it. I do my stall cleaning when I get home from work, so it's definitely a little therapy for me, and a good way to unwind and relax after work.

Proud mom to:
Zena - 11 year old black & white APHA Tobiano Paint mare
Sis - 17 year old grade POA mare
In loving memory of Roxy (gray OTTB) - 00-08. RIP my sweet girl.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:52 AM  
Seasoned

It depends on the horses stall I'm cleaning. I do a really good job and am as thorough as possible, I pick out all the visable poo and wet spots then bank and sift through to find anything I missed then relevel the shavings and put in more if needed.
A really tidy stall takes about 5-10 mins, but normal stalls take like 10-15, and then I've had some really messy piggy horses that there stalls alone take 20-30 mins. So it really does depend on what the horse is like in it's stall.
I really hate the ones that poo and pee everywhere then mix it all up and grind it all together and then to make things worse stir all there hay up in with it...those stalls take ages to clean especially if the horse is a bucket dumper and spills it's water all over the place.

Last edited by breburtch : 08-13-2009 at 06:56 AM.
breburtch is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate