Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2009, 09:08 AM  
Long Yearling

Pasture lease prices???

I have never leased a pasture, but there is 10 acres down the road from where I currently keep my horses. It has one cross fence. The front pasture has a barn (poles and top...no sides, so it's more like a shade) and the back pasture, which is bigger has lots of shade along the fence line and a pond. There is a larger open barn and paddock kind of in the middle of it all. It is not advertised for lease, but I know the people that own it and they rarely keep cattle on it....So I thought I might make an offer to lease it, but didn't know how much a month to offer...Any suggestions???

Samba - 2009 grey Andalusian gelding
Flint - 2012 bay Friesian/Arabian gelding
boo_loves_kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:17 AM  
Started

Well, I would talk to them and ask them first if they wouldn't mind if you kept your horse(s) on it for a monthly fee. Make sure you tell them you will feed the horses etc. If thats how you were planning to do it.

Depending on how many horses you have $100 per horse isn't unreasonable I don't think.

Rest In Peace My Sweet Angel:
Zoey: April 10, 2009-July 19, 2012
Proud United States Navy wife
FLQuarterhorse39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:31 AM  
Coming two

I would ask some near by farmers what they lease land for ...Prices are cheaper here than in other states.I know people that rent a pasture $30 per horse per month, I think its the same way for cows on wheat, but then I know some other folks that rent $100 per month for a whole 60 acres and stick 15-20 horses on it. And then you have the horse folks that will let you turn out for $125-150 per month for each horse with hay included. It varies.If its 10 good productive acres with our questionable dryness out here may be put 4 horses max at $30 per head each month would be a good offer to start with that way you shouldn't damage the pasture or need hay.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:31 AM  
Yearling Member

just pasture

I think that 100 per head is way over the top for just pasture. If the place is not being used, the horses will be doing the owner a favor, by helping to clear the over grown pasture. How many horss are you looking to place on the property?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:35 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I would not do it by the horse, but rather by the acreage. Find out what land lease is going for in the area.

Here it is 50/head/month, but that is farm country also.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:57 AM  
Yearling Member

I pay $125.00 per head on pasture. The West Coast is pretty expensive. I pay it, because it's still better than a boarding stable. It's high quality pasture, and I don't have to feed for about 8 months out of the year.

You may be able to do a pasture lease for a lot less! Good luck!
Rhiannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:12 AM  
Coming two

One pasture I lease is $1000 a year for 65 acres with no limit on horses. The other pasture I lease is $20 a head/month with a max of 3 horses.
missa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:12 PM  
Long Yearling

This is all very interesting. I never thought about paying per head...hmmm
This is whats up....I work for a trainer riding horses a few days a week. She has so many that she is wanting to refer a few people to me. I would only do a few at a time. I don't want to keep more than I can ride you know. I was thinking a 6 month lease and with spring on the way, I wouldn't need hay for long, but I would provide feed and hay and everything. I wouldn't put any more than 5-6 horses out there at a time. I was thinking around $60 at the most, a month. Do you think this is unreasonable? I don't live near a big city or anything. And even though this is a nice piece of property, like I said, its not being used.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:33 PM  
Halter broke

In my area the going rates for horses are between $1-$1.50 per day per horse. This includes pasture only, with watering facilities. If there are any amenities, the rates go up.
5-6 horses on 10 acres is alot. If you are wanting to lease the property in order to train horses, $60 seems way too low.
crookedpineqhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:42 AM  
Long Yearling

I don't think 5-6 horses is too much. Right now I have 2 horses on 4 acres and there is always more than enough grass...unless we have a drought. There won't always be that many anyways. My employer seems to know the owner pretty well and is going to inquire if he is willing to lease.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:27 PM  
Newborn Member

Smile

I have 2 boarders here and charge 150.00 and thats just for pasture and no grass pasture.
they get there own hay and there own grain.
Works great..
In turn that pays for my hay for my horses.
CrazyHorseFarms is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate