Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2009, 03:49 PM  
Halter broke

Regulation for "horses per acre"

I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. I wanted to join the Alberta forum but don't get any response to my request.

My family and I are planning on moving to central/southern Alberta this year.
Depending on the Munincipal District, there are different regulations for the amount of 'livestock' you're allowed to have per acre.

We have 6 horses so we're looking for a property (depending on the county) anywhere between 20 and 40 acres (or more if we can afford it ).

We've had more than one real estate agent telling us not to bother about those numbers.

Does anyone have experience with this? How many horses do you have per acre and did you ever get questioned about it?

Any help would be appriciated.
STBlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:53 PM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond_Y
I'll add you to the Alberta Forum now.
Diamond_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:56 PM  
Halter broke

Diamond Y, can you add me to the Alberta Forum too? I PM'd the administrator about 3 weeks ago but, I never got permission yet.

Please and Thank you.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:56 PM  
Pasture Pet

Where I live you need at least 3 acres to have a horse, and an additional acre per additional horse (so 5 acres for 3 horses). Once you get to 20 acres it doesn't matter how many horses you have.

You can get zoned to be allowed more horses.

If you have more horses than your area allows, then a complaint from a neighbour could force you to pay a fine and sell the additional horses. Usually only a problem in subdivisions though.

I think you would want at least 10 useful acres for 6 horses if you want them to be able to have pasture in the summer.

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:02 PM  
Halter broke

STBlover - if you check out this website: http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/app21/ you may find what you're looking for (and if not, its full of good information).
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:14 PM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond_Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Diamond Y, can you add me to the Alberta Forum too? I PM'd the administrator about 3 weeks ago but, I never got permission yet.

Please and Thank you.
Done!
Diamond_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:53 PM  
Halter broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_Y View Post
Thank you very much! I appriciate it.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:56 PM  
Halter broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquineAlberta View Post
Where I live you need at least 3 acres to have a horse, and an additional acre per additional horse (so 5 acres for 3 horses). Once you get to 20 acres it doesn't matter how many horses you have.

You can get zoned to be allowed more horses.

If you have more horses than your area allows, then a complaint from a neighbour could force you to pay a fine and sell the additional horses. Usually only a problem in subdivisions though.

I think you would want at least 10 useful acres for 6 horses if you want them to be able to have pasture in the summer.

Karen
Thank you Karen. That's exactly what I'm worried about that someone might complain; not likely but you never know and I don't want to loose any horses because of that.
We definitely don't want to go with less than 15 - 20 acres though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
STBlover - if you check out this website: http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/app21/ you may find what you're looking for (and if not, its full of good information).
Thank you for the link Chalsall. I will check it out tonight!
The MD's are very helpful about the laws and regulations but I was wondering if people really are concerned about it and don't go over the numbers that are allowed.

Last edited by STBlover : 01-08-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:34 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_Y View Post
Could you please add me to the Alberta Forum too. I also have had no response to my request.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:16 PM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via MSN to pauldonnelly Send a message via Yahoo to pauldonnelly
where i lived in the town of tecumseh oklahoma they required 3000sqft per horse

thats a 50ft by 60ft square can ya believe it

i use the formula of 10 acres per horse but that just me
Old 01-09-2009, 05:58 AM  
Pasture Pet

Here in parts of New York it is 2 acres for the first horse than 1/2 acre per added horse.
Buildings of barns or sheds can not be closer than 100 feet from property line
So it is best to contact your county for the rules.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:31 AM  
Halter broke

As mentioned in my OP, I do know about the rules and regulations and I HAVE contacted the diffrent MD's already.
My concern is, that serveral real estate agents told us not to bother about those numbers and that we would be ok with less land than officially allowed per horse. I'm just not comfortable with this answer.

What I wanted to know is how you feel about that and if you DO have more horses than allowed and if you had issues with it.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:40 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I have more than I have land for but there is a loop hole. It says as long as you have access to more land than you can keep the horses on your property. So far no real complaints about the number of them but I only have 4 minis on 5 acres.
short_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:45 AM  
Halter broke

No worries - I know how it is; I too get carried away sometimes...

I do like the 'loop hole' input! Who knows, maybe there will be a neighbour letting us lease some land. Fantastic idea! Thanks!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:53 AM  
Long Yearling

In our MD I had three horses (and two llamas) on five acres, which did not meet the criteria of 4 acres per horse.
I always kept adequate feed (a stockpile of hay) to demonstrate that our land could support that number of horses.
You do take a chance though that if someone complains, if you are not meeting the criteria, you could be asked to downsize.
I think the real estate agents are sort of correct, but I don't like their answer either.
What part of Alberta are you looking at? The Calgary/Red Deer area remains expensive, unless you're well out of town, although prices have softened a little.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition Monty Python
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:30 AM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via MSN to islander
hmm--i never thought of that frankly--i just bought in Bonnyville area and only have 10 acres about 3/4 will be fenced for the horse--i have 3.5 (preg) now but will have about 6 i think when done-- if i dont have enogh pasture i plan on feeding hay but never thought about restrictions oops--too late now i guess!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:34 AM  
Seasoned

I have to admit, there have been times I had more then I was supposed to and noone ever said anything of it. Ditto of my neighbor. I am not sure if they look the other way as long as you are managing them fine or if they just didn't notice. I am not sure that I would want to buy knowing it was to small for the amount of animals I had.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:38 AM  
Seasoned

I have to admit, there have been times I had more then I was supposed to and noone ever said anything of it. Ditto of my neighbor. I am not sure if they look the other way as long as you are managing them fine or if they just didn't notice. I am not sure that I would want to buy knowing it was to small for the amount of animals I had. For instance, before we live where I'm at now, we looked at a place that all total was 3 acres...and I had 7 horses. So, I knew already that would be to small for the 7..I told the realtor although everything was very nice, that is why we were no longer interested. She said the county never actually enforces that law and it would be fine...I don't think she had a clue how much land horses need or why and she just wanted to sell the place.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:39 AM  
Seasoned

wth? no idea how i double posted ..i edited to clarify and now there are two posts..
Old 01-12-2009, 09:29 AM  
Halter broke

Thank you guys! I will go with my gut feeling and try to find a place that legaly allowes me to have my six horses on the property and ignore the 'so what' comments the real estate agenst tend to make Better safe than sorry, right?

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate